• What fees and costs will I need to cover?
    Bond amount
    A bond amount of up to four weeks rent is collected at the start of the tenancy and held in trust with the Bond Centre. In the event that you fall into rental arrears, are responsible for damage to the property, or leave the property in a dirty or unkempt condition your landlord can make a claim against the bond. At the end of your lease, if the property has only sustained reasonable wear and tear the full bond amount will be returned to you.

    Rent in advance
    You will usually be required to pay up to two weeks of your rent in advance upon the start of your tenancy.
  • How do I pay my rent?
    Riverlands accepts rent payments via automatic payment or internet banking. You can also set us up as a payee if you prefer telephone banking. Our account details and what to include with your payment are shown in your tenancy agreement. If for whatever reason you feel you may be late with your rental payment, please notify your property manager as soon as possible.
  • What types of tenancy agreements are there?
    There are two types of tenancy agreements, fixed term and periodic.

    Fixed term
    Fixed term tenancies are for a set period of time, with a defined start and end date. Usually six to 12 months. Fixed tenancies can’t be terminated by either party unless each party agrees.

    Periodic tenancies can simply be terminated by notice. As a tenant, you must provide your landlord/property manager 28 days written notice of your decision to terminate the lease. Your landlord can provide you with notice to terminate the tenancy the most common being:
    • 63 days if they or any of their family require the property for their own use
    • 90 days if the property has been sold and the new owner requires vacant possession
  • What happens if the property I am renting is sold?
    The owner of the property has the right to sell the property regardless of the lease type. However, as a tenant you have the right to remain in the property for the duration of your fixed term rental agreement or for 90 days from the date of notice of your periodic rental agreement.

    In the event you do have to relocate, we are more than happy to work with you to find a new rental property that will suit your needs.
  • How do I arrange any repairs that might be needed?
    • Any repairs that are needed on the property should be made clear to your property manager as soon as possible, preferably in writing. Some repairs will be considered urgent if your health and safety or the property itself is threatened.
    • In these instances, your property manager will have a repair person attend to these issues as soon as possible.
    • Non-urgent repairs should also be directed to your property manager, who will organise for these repairs to take place when practical. It’s important not to try and repair the property yourself.
  • If personal items of mine are damaged at the property, whose responsibility is it?
    Your personal property is your responsibility, so any items that are damaged, lost or stolen are not the responsibility of your landlord. That is why it is advisable to cover your belongings adequately with contents insurance.
  • Can I make any small alterations to the property?
    Before making any alternations to your rental property, including small changes like picture hooks etc, ensure you speak with your property manager to get the OK. The best way to do this is in writing so the request can be forwarded to your landlord who will need to provide permission for any changes. Keep in mind changes may also be at your expense unless agreed otherwise with your landlord.
  • Where can I find more info about the rules and legislation of renting in New Zealand?
    You can always contact your property manager if you’re unsure anything or visit the Tenancy Services website at www.tenancy.govt.nz
Huntly Home Interior